Skip to main content
Ontario Tech acknowledges the lands and people of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation.

We are thankful to be welcome on these lands in friendship. The lands we are situated on are covered by the Williams Treaties and are the traditional territory of the Mississaugas, a branch of the greater Anishinaabeg Nation, including Algonquin, Ojibway, Odawa and Pottawatomi. These lands remain home to many Indigenous nations and peoples.

We acknowledge this land out of respect for the Indigenous nations who have cared for Turtle Island, also called North America, from before the arrival of settler peoples until this day. Most importantly, we acknowledge that the history of these lands has been tainted by poor treatment and a lack of friendship with the First Nations who call them home.

This history is something we are all affected by because we are all treaty people in Canada. We all have a shared history to reflect on, and each of us is affected by this history in different ways. Our past defines our present, but if we move forward as friends and allies, then it does not have to define our future.

Learn more about Indigenous Education and Cultural Services

Thesis and projects/papers FAQs and contacts

Student/supervisor relationships

Graduate thesis/project writing

  • Where can I receive guidance on writing my thesis or project/papers?

    You should seek guidance from your research supervisor(s) regarding the appropriate style manual for your thesis and term papers. 

    You may also use Ontario Tech resources and SGPS workshops to assist you in your writing (e.g. Grad Pro Skills workshop to perfect literature reviews).

  • Can I use my own published work in my thesis?

    All reputable publishers will allow you to include your published content in your thesis for free so long as you:

    1. Ask permission, usually by a web-form.
    2. Cite the work properly, including a statement that the item was reproduced with permission of the copyright holder.

    You must also include the copyright permission letters with your thesis package. Some publishers permit authors of a published paper to use the content in their dissertation without having to seek further permission, but it is important that you check with the publisher.

    It is common in many fields to add a statement of prior publication at the beginning of a chapter, particularly if you are doing a “thesis-by-articles” style of thesis.

  • Since the university has a new brand name, how should I refer to the university in my thesis?
    On your thesis document title page, use the name "University of Ontario Institute of Technology (Ontario Tech University)". In your document, use Ontario Tech University as the first reference (if applicable) and Ontario Tech for all subsequent references to the institution. Do not use the acronym OTU or the former acronym UOIT.
  • What style of thesis is acceptable?

    SGPS allows different thesis formats, including traditional style, and the manuscript style or ‘thesis-by-articles”.

    Specifically, a manuscript style thesis should follow a similar format to the current thesis template with an introduction section, middle chapters and a final conclusion/discussion chapter.  In this case, the middle chapters would be for each manuscript, each containing their own sub-sections. For manuscript style, each chapter should contain its own methods, results, discussion, etc.

  • Where can I find information on how to format my thesis/project/paper?
    SGPS requires discipline-specific standards with respect to thesis format (including electronic format), organization, manuscript (co)authorship and any other requirements. This information can be found under the Templates and Formatting section for both Master’s and PhD’s on the SGPS thesis webpage. SGPS has also created a template (.docx format) for a Master’s major paper/project. This can be found under the Templates tab on the Master’s project/major paper page.

Research progress/timelines

Program extension requests

  • What is the program extension request?

    As outlined in the Graduate Academic Calendar under time limits, there is a minimum and maximum time allowed for students to complete all requirements for a graduate program. All students who will exceed the normal allotted time for completion in their program must formally submit a request to extend their program to the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies. See Request for program extension form.

    Along with the completed form, students are required to provide a list of the reasons for delay in degree completion and complete a one to two-page report outlining their progress and a plan for completion with a timeline. 

    Note: students that request / require a program extension are still responsible for tuition and ancillary fees in each semester they are registered.

    If you are unsure about the time in your program, contact

  • When is the program extension request due?

    The request for program extension forms are due at the end of each academic semester. See Graduate Academic Calendar schedule for dates.

    Failure to submit the required documentation by the deadline will result in the student’s account being placed on hold.

    The form must be completed, approved by the student’s supervisor(s), graduate program director and submitted to for approval.

Oral thesis defence/examination