Skip to main content

Grad course registration FAQs and contacts

Course registration

  • How do I register if I have a conditional offer of admission?

    You are normally not permitted to register if your conditional offer has not been cleared. For more information, contact

  • How do I determine which classes to take?

    Requirements for programs of study are listed in the program sections of the Graduate Academic Calendar. Students should become familiar with the degree requirements and plan their programs accordingly. Not all courses are offered in any one term or academic year. Elective offerings may vary from semester to semester. Students are advised to consult with their graduate program director, faculty advisor or research supervisor as part of the planning process. All courses in the student's program must be approved by the graduate program director.

    Students cannot take courses for credit in addition to the course requirements for their graduate program.

  • What is a continuance course?

    For administrative purposes, all graduate students in flat-fee programs are registered in a specific course known as a “continuance course”. This confirms that the student is registered in the graduate program until they have met all program requirements and are eligible to graduate. Unless the student has applied and been approved for a leave of absence from the program, they are automatically re-registered in this course at the beginning of each semester. Although the course code appears on the student's transcript, it is not graded or calculated into the student's GPA.

    Students in a fee-per-credit program do not normally recieve a continuance course unless they have completed all other courses and are working towards their final project/thesis course, if applicable.

    To determine if your program is flat-fee or fee per-credit, refer to the domestic or international tuition fees page.

    Continuance courses:

    Business Analytics and AI (MBAI)

    BUSI 5999G


    SSCI 5999G

    Education (EdD)

    EDUC 7000G


    ENGR 5000G

    Health Sciences

    HLSC 5000G


    MSCI 6999G

  • I'm trying to register for a course on MyOntarioTech and I'm getting an error. What do I do?

    There are several reasons why you may be unable to add a course. For example, if you try to register for a course outside of your program, an undergraduate course or a course that must be approved prior to registration, you will receive an error. In these situations, you will need to use an Add/Drop form or Undergraduate Course Request form (if your program permits undergraduate-level courses), and be granted approval by your supervisor (if applicable) and graduate program director. Note that you are not permitted to exceed the maximum allowable credits, which is dependent on your full-time or part-time status.

    For more information on errors, please see the registration errors page or contact

  • Am I expected to be registered in the summer?

    Yes. Graduate students are expected to be registered year-round (with the exception of all graduate diplomas in nuclear engineering). There are three terms in the academic year: fall, winter and spring/ summer. Students in flat-fee programs are automatically registered and fees are applied to student accounts prior to each term.

  • How do I change my full-time or part-time status?

    Some programs offer full-time and part-time studies, whereas other programs offer only full-time studies. Students declare themselves as full-time or part-time at the time of application.

    Under certain circumstances, students may change from full-time to part-time status or vice versa. A Change in Full-Time/Part-Time Status form will need to be completed and signed by your supervisor (if applicable), your graduate program director, and the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies. The deadline for submitting these forms is normally in the first week of the relevant term. Ensure you review the important dates and deadlines page.

  • Am I able to change my program once I'm registered?

    In certain situations, students may request to change their program. For example, a student in a professional-based program may request to move to a similar research- based program, or vice versa. Students are required to obtain approval using a Change of Program/Supervisor form, which must be signed by the research supervisor (if applicable), graduate program director and the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies. Students are not permitted to switch to a new program outside of their discipline or between faculties without a formal application to the new program. Transfer credits from the previous program are not guaranteed.

  • What if I need to take time off from my studies?

    The university recognizes that, under certain circumstances, students may need to absent themselves from regular study while maintaining their relationship with the university. Such circumstances must have sufficient cause and an official leave of absence must be requested through the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (SGPS) and approved by the research supervisor (if applicable), graduate program director and SGPS. Supporting documentation is required.

  • How do I drop classes?

    You may drop classes through MyOntarioTech. After the tenth day of the term, drop requests must be completed using the Add/Drop Form. Please check Important Dates for more information. Dropping a class does not constitute an approved Leave of Absence or withdrawal from the program for students in flat fee programs.

  • When do I need to go to the Office of the Registrar?

    The Office of the Registrar is available to help you complete transcript requests, to change your name or address, and answer questions you may have about convocation and the conferral of degrees. All other technical registration matters should be directed to the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.

  • How do I obtain a verification of enrolment letter?

    The School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies processes verifications of enrolment for graduate students. Graduate students are eligible for one free letter per term. For additional letters, a cost of $10 per letter applies. Fill out the online Request for Verification of Information form.

For more information