Skip to main content

Next steps for new grad students


Congratulations on your offer of admission to Ontario Tech University. We are thrilled that you will be joining our close-knit and supportive graduate community.

An exciting academic journey awaits you, and we want to ensure you have a positive student experience along the way. If you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (SGPS) at We are always here to help.

  • Accommodations

    There are several types of accommodations available to students, both on and off campus. It is advised that you begin searching for accommodations as early as possible, especially for the fall term.


    Simcoe Village Residence and South Village Residence are managed by Campus Living Centres.



    If you’d prefer to live off campus, the university's Off-campus Living Service provides rental listings, student sublets and a roommate finder tool, general housing information and organizes the annual Housing Fair. Staff can support you in making informed decisions regarding off-campus living choices.

  • Proof of citizenship

    All incoming students, including students who have previously attended Ontario Tech, are required to provide proof of citizenship before commencing their graduate studies.

    More Information about Proof of Citizenship

  • International students

    All international students studying in Canada must have a valid study permit. Your study permit and your passport are your most important immigration documents. Before you attend any classes, ensure they are valid. Students coming from certain countries may also require an entry visa, known officially as a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). If your immediate family members (such as partner/spouse and children) are joining you, they too will require documentation to enter and/or study in Canada.

    Visit the international website

  • Obtain your Campus Card (student ID)

    Your Campus Card is a valuable piece of identification. Your Campus Card is needed for exam identification, acts as your transit pass, and gives you retail discounts on and off campus. Your Campus Card also grants you access to a number of resources on campus including, but not limited to, library resources, student health plan access and campus recreational facilities.

    Visit Campus Card website

  • Public transportation

    All full-time students receive a Universal Transit Pass (U-Pass), which provides you with unlimited access to Durham Region Transit (DRT) during the academic year. The cost of the U-Pass is included in your full-time student fees.

    The icon for U-Pass will be on your Campus Card.


    Please note that full-time graduate students in online programs are exempt from the U-Pass fees.

  • Obtain a proximity card
    Some faculty labs on campus require proximity card access. In order to receive a proximity card, a designated faculty representative. If you require proximity card access, contact your graduate program director at the start of the term.
  • Parking

    Paid parking is in effect on campus and only permitted in designated areas. Visit the parking website to view parking rates and purchase a parking pass for the north or downtown location.


  • Campus maps and directions

    Learn your way around campus! Campus maps are available and you can also explore our campus with the virtual tour.


    Downtown Oshawa campus location map (PDF)