Skip to main content

Letter of Permission

A Letter of Permission (LOP) is required for:

  • Graduate students at Ontario Tech University who wish to take a graduate-level course at a university outside of Canada.
  • Graduate students enrolled in universities outside of Canada who wish to take a course at Ontario Tech University.

The LOP ensures that the course to be taken at the host institution will be recognized for credit towards your graduate program of study.

Transfer credit will not be approved if the LOP is not approved prior to registering in the course.


  • A minimum four-week processing time is required, following the submission of complete documentation.
  • You must register for the approved course(s) at the host institution during the academic term specified on the LOP form. If the approved course is not taken in the term specified, a new LOP application will be required. You may not join a course late.
  • LOPs are granted based on the approval of the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (SGPS) and the graduate program director, in consultation with the research supervisor (if applicable) and the institution outside of Canada.
  • A grade equivalent to B- (2.70/4.30) is required. Grade requirements differ by country. Consult with SGPS prior to making the LOP request to determine the grade required.
  • LOP credit(s) for students enrolled at the Ontario Tech University will be indicated by a T on the student’s transcript and will not be used in the GPA calculation.
  • Fees may apply. Check with the host institution prior to LOP application.
  • Apply for a Letter of Permission (LOP)

    Steps to apply for an LOP

    1. Ensure you meet the eligibility requirements and restrictions.
    2. Determine the host institution and course you wish to request.
    3. For students from Ontario Tech University taking courses outside of Canada: Obtain an institutionally-prepared course syllabus from the host institution. Syllabi older than 12 months will not be accepted.
    4. For students not from Ontario Tech University, obtain LOP from home institution’s dean of graduate studies.
    5. Complete LOP form.

    SGPS will forward approved form to host institution, if applicable.

  • Eligibility Requirements and Restrictions

    Requirements for an LOP

    • Have the necessary prerequisite courses.
    • Be in clear academic standing.
    • Pay fees to host institution, as requested.
    • Approval from the home and host institutions.
    • Students visiting Ontario Tech University are responsible for ensuring they meet the requirements outlined by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada to obtain entry into Canada.


    In addition to meeting eligibility requirements, the following restrictions apply:

    • The host institution must offer graduate university-level courses and be accredited by the responsible governing body.
    • Combination of transfer and letter of permission credits cannot exceed residency requirements.
    • It is not recommended that a student take an LOP course in their final semester, as it may affect graduation eligibility.
  • After course completion

    Students from Ontario Tech University are responsible for requesting official transcripts to be sent from the host institution.

    Mailing address:

    School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies
    Ontario Tech University
    2000 Simcoe Street North
    Oshawa, ON  L1G 0C5

    Please note:

    • Failure to submit a final transcript or proof of withdrawal may result in an F grade being recorded on your academic transcript. This will also be reflected in your GPA calculation.
    • If you are planning to graduate in June, final transcripts for course(s) taken on a Letter of Permission must be submitted to SGPS no later than May 1, in order for your course to be considered for graduation.
    • Official transcripts must be sealed by the host institution and submitted in a university envelope.

    Confirmation of credit

    Students from Ontario Tech University will receive an email from SGPS when your LOP credits have been applied to your student record.

    Students not from our university must check with their home institution to determine transcript/transfer credit requirements. Students are responsible for requesting transcripts from the University of Ontario Institute of Technology.